Dr. Antony has special interest in treating patients with seizures not responding to medications, spells of unknown etiology and the surgical treatment of epilepsy. Dr. Antony’s research is focused on functional connectivity and machine learning in epileptogenesis, seizure spread and the presurgical evaluation of epilepsy. His research also includes novel electrophysiologic methods like simultaneous scalp and intracranial EEG (SSIEEG) and the use of Valproic acid in the treatment of status epilepticus.
Education & Training
- MD, Government Medical College, Trivandrum, Medicine
- Resident, University of Nebraska and Creighton University, Neurology
- Fellow, Cleveland Clinic, Epilepsy and Clinical Neurophysiology
Specialized Areas of Clinical, Research and/or Educational Interests
- Research: Functional connectivity, Simultaneous scalp and intracranial EEG (SSIEEG), machine learning, status epilepticus
- Clinical: Refractory seizures, spells of unknown etiology and surgical treatment of epilepsy
- Education: Simulation and game theory-based learning
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology- Neurology
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology- Clinical Neurophysiology
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology- Epilepsy
Professional Organization Membership
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Epilepsy Society
- American Clinical Neurophysiology Society
- Society for Neuroscience
Honors & Awards
- Resident Teaching Award-Department of Neurology
- Dox Foundation Grant
Selected Recent Publications
Antony AR, Abramovici S, Krafty, Jullie Pan, Mark Richardson, Anto Bagic, Zulfi Haneef. Simultaneous scalp EEG improves seizure lateralization during unilateral intracranial EEG evaluation in temporal lobe epilepsy. Seizure 2019 Jan; 64 (1): 8-15.
V.Kokkinos, N. Zaher, A. Atony, A Bagic, RM Richardson, A urban. The intracranial correlate of the 14&6/sec positive spikes normal scalp EEG variant. Clin Neurophysiol. 2019 Sep;130(9):1570-1580.
Mehta A, Zusman BE, Choxi R, Shutter LA, Yassin A, Antony A, Thirumala PD. Seizures After Intracerebral Hemorrhage: Incidence, Risk Factors, and Impact on Mortality and Morbidity. World Neurosurg. 2018 Apr;112:e385-e392.
Mehta A, Zusman BE, Shutter LA, Choxi R, Yassin A, Antony A, Thirumala PD. The Prevalence and Impact of Status Epilepticus Secondary to Intracerebral Hemorrhage: Results from the US Nationwide Inpatient Sample. Neurocrit Care. 2018 Jun;28(3):353-361.
Brian Hanrahan, A.Popescu, G. Ghearing, J.Pan, R.Hendrickson, A.Bagic, A. Antony. Diagnostic accuracy of paroxysmal spells: Clinical history versus Observation. Epilepsy Behav. 2018 Jan;78:73-77.