Patrick Chauvel became an INSERM (Paris) researcher into the mechanisms of the epilepsies, after achieving his medical and scientific studies in Neurology and in Neuroscience. At that time, he developed SEEG (Stereo-Electro-EncephaloGraphy) as a presurgical method in epilepsy surgery. His research work has been devoted to the pathophysiology of the epileptogenic zone, emergence of seizure clinical semiology, and cerebral cortex physiology. He has promoted the concept of epileptogenic network over the classical epileptic focus idea and opened new vistas in markers of the epileptogenic zone and semiology of focal epilepsies.
Patrick Chauvel served as the Director of the SEEG Unit in Hospital Sainte-Anne in Paris, then Professor and Chairman of Neurology followed by Professor and Chairman of Clinical Neurophysiology and Director of the INSERM Institute of Systems Neuroscience in Marseille, configuring a new type of Epilepsy Unit including research. Afterwards, he relocated to the Epilepsy Center of the Cleveland Clinic, where, as a Professor of as Professor of Neurology at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine of Case Western Reserve University promoted the development of presurgical investigation using SEEG in North America. In Brisbane, as Honorary Professor at the University of Queensland, he guided developing SEEG-based epilepsy surgery and related research program. He is the author of more than 250 original articles in international journals and is a member of several international Scientific and Medical Societies.
Education & Training
- HDR, University Rene Descartes, Paris, Supervise Research
- Master, University Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, Neurophysiology
- MD, University of Rennes I Internat des Hopitaux: Sainte-Anne, Paris, Neurology
Specialized Areas of Clinical, Research and/or Educational Interests
- Research: Pathophysiology of the Epileptogenic Zone, Neural networks, StereoElectroEncephaloGraphy (SEEG), clinical semiology of seizures
- Education: Research Training in clinical science; clinical neurophysiology
- Qualification in Neurology/National Board-Paris Board of Physicians
Professional Organization Membership
- Past President Societe de Neurophysiologie Clinique de Langue Francaise
- Past President Ligue Francaise contre l’Epilepsie
- Member, American Epilepsy Society
- Member, American Clinical Neurophysiology Society
- Elected Member, Royal Academy of Medicine, Belgium
Selected Recent Publications
Li J, Grinenko O, Mosher JC, Gonzalez-Martinez J, Leahy RM, Chauvel P. Learning to define an electrical biomarker of the epileptogenic zone. Hum Brain Mapp. 2020 Feb 1;41(2):429-441. doi: 10.1002/hbm.24813. Epub 2019 Oct 14. PMID: 31609058; PMCID: PMC7268034.
Aupy J, Wendling F, Taylor K, Bulacio J, Gonzalez-Martinez J, Chauvel P. Cortico-striatal synchronization in human focal seizures. Brain. 2019 May 1;142(5):1282-1295. doi: 10.1093/brain/awz062. PMID: 30938430.
Grinenko O, Li J, Mosher JC, Wang IZ, Bulacio JC, Gonzalez-Martinez J, Nair D, Najm I, Leahy RM, Chauvel P. A fingerprint of the epileptogenic zone in human epilepsies. Brain. 2018 Jan 1;141(1):117-131. doi: 10.1093/brain/awx306. PMID: 29253102; PMCID: PMC5837527.
Yu T, Wang X, Li Y, Zhang G, Worrell G, Chauvel P, Ni D, Qiao L, Liu C, Li L, Ren L, Wang Y. High-frequency stimulation of anterior nucleus of thalamus desynchronizes epileptic network in humans. Brain. 2018 Sep 1;141(9):2631-2643. doi: 10.1093/brain/awy187. PMID: 29985998.
Aupy J, Noviawaty I, Krishnan B, Suwankpakdee P, Bulacio J, Gonzalez-Martinez J, Najm I, Chauvel P. Insulo-opercular cortex generates oroalimentary automatisms in temporal seizures. Epilepsia. 2018 Mar;59(3):583-594. doi: 10.1111/epi.14011. Epub 2018 Feb 2. PMID: 29392713.