- Associate Director, Neuroendovascular & Stroke Fellowships
- Director, Pediatric Endovascular Surgery
- Co-Director, Pediatric Endovascular Center of Excellence
Alhamza R. Al-Bayati, MD, received his medical degree from University of Baghdad, College of Medicine. He completed his neurology residency at Loma Linda University Health in California then pursued further training in vascular neurology at UPMC and neurointerventional radiology at Emory University School of Medicine.
He is a board certified vascular and interventional neurologist, a diligent member on multiple national and institutional committees as well as ad hoc reviewer of numerous highly regarded scientific journals. He served as the site principal investigator of multiple clinical trials.
Dr. Al-Bayati involved in a robust clinical and scientific research mission in one of the nation's busiest stroke centers. The complex clinical exposure along with his exceptional past and current mentorship are crucial components for him to continue growing as a productive contributor to the field and advance UPMC Stroke institute in further cerebrovascular excellence and ultimately improve patient outcomes.
Education & Training
- Fellowship, Emory University School of Medicine, Interventional Neuroradiology
- Fellowship, University of Pittsburgh, Vascular Neurology
- Residency, Loma Linda University Health, Neurology
- MD, University of Baghdad, Iraq
Specialized Areas of Clinical, Research and/or Educational Interests
- Neuroendovascular surgery: acute ischemic stroke intervention; carotid and vertebral arteries disease; cerebral aneurysms; arteriovenous malformation; dural arteriovenous fistulas; intracranial atherosclerotic disease.
- Education focus: developing neurology trainees’ interest in clinical and academic interventional neurology via recurrent technical and research mentoring hands-on workshops.
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- American Board of Vascular Neurology
Professional Organization Membership
- Society of Vascular and Interventional Neurology
- Society of Neurointerventional Surgery
- American Heart Association
- American Academy of Neurology
Honors & Awards
- Neurology Faculty Teaching Award, Emory Neurology Residency Program
- Educator Appreciation Day Recognition, Emory University School of Medicine
- Annual Meeting Fellow Scholarship, Society of Vascular and Interventional Neurology
- Annual Meeting Resident Scholarship, American Academy of Neurology
Selected Recent Publications
Al-Bayati AR, Nogueira RG, Haussen DC. Carotid Artery Stenting: Applications and Technical Considerations. Neurology. 2021 Nov 16;97(20 Supplement 2):S137-S144. doi: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000012802. PubMed PMID: 34785612.
Al-Bayati AR, Haussen DC, Mohammaden MH, Pisani L, Bhatt N, Liberato B, Frankel MR, Nogueira RG. Blind exchange technique to facilitate large-bore aspiration catheter navigation during stroke thrombectomy. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2021 Aug 5;208:106873. doi: 10.1016/j.clineuro.2021.106873. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 34388597.
Nogueira RG, Mohammaden MH, Al-Bayati AR, Frankel MR, Haussen DC. Preliminary experience with 088 large bore intracranial catheters during stroke thrombectomy. Interv Neuroradiol. 2020 Dec 22;:1591019920982219. doi: 10.1177/1591019920982219. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 33353466.
Nogueira RG, Sachdeva R, Al-Bayati AR, Mohammaden MH, Frankel MR, Haussen DC. Robotic assisted carotid artery stenting for the treatment of symptomatic carotid disease: technical feasibility and preliminary results. J Neurointerv Surg. 2020 Apr;12(4):341-344. doi: 10.1136/neurintsurg-2019-015754. Epub 2020 Mar 1. PubMed PMID: 32115435.
Haussen DC, Al-Bayati AR, Bhatt N, Nogueira RG. Re: Semerano A, Mamadou Z, Desilles JP, Sabben C, Bacigaluppi M, Piotin M, et al. Carotid webs in large vessel occlusion stroke: Clinical, radiological and thrombus histopathological findings. Journal of the neurological sciences. 2021;427:117550. J Neurol Sci. 2021 Aug 21;429:117620. doi: 10.1016/j.jns.2021.117620. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 34438183.
Sharashidze V, Nogueira RG, Al-Bayati AR, Bhatt N, Nahab FB, Yun J, Allen JW, Frankel M, Haussen DC. Carotid Web Phenotype Is Uncommonly Associated With Classic Fibromuscular Dysplasia: A Retrospective Observational Study. Stroke. 2021 Dec 30;:STROKEAHA121036188. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.121.036188. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 34965739.
Yun J, Nogueira RG, Al-Bayati AR, Mohammaden MH, Haussen DC. Cervical Carotid Stent Collapse During Balloon Guide Catheter Aspiration. World Neurosurg. 2022 Mar;159:63. doi: 10.1016/j.wneu.2021.12.039. Epub 2021 Dec 18. PMID: 34929365.