- Staff Neurologist, VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System
- Director, VAPHS EEG Laboratory
Dr. Van Cott’s clinical and research interests focus on epilepsy and traumatic brain injury in the veteran population. She leads the VA Epilepsy Center of Excellence Consortium Site in Pittsburgh and is the Chair of the National VA Epilepsy Center of Excellence Women Veterans with Epilepsy Workgroup. She plays an active role in the teaching of medical students and mentors residents and junior faculty in research projects and career development planning.
Education & Training
- Fellow, University of Pittsburgh, Electroencephalography and Evoked Potentials
- Fellow, University of Pittsburgh, Electromyography and Neuromuscular Disease
- Resident, University of Pittsburgh, Neurology
- MD, New York Medical College
Specialized Areas of Clinical, Research and/or Educational Interests
- Research: Epilepsy (women and elderly), Traumatic Brain Injury, EEG
- Education: Medical Student Education in Neurology, Residency Mentoring
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology: Neurology
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology: Clinical Neurophysiology
Professional Organization Membership
- Elected Fellow Member, American Academy of Neurology
- Fellow Member, American Clinical Neurophysiology Society
- Elected Fellow Member, American Epilepsy Society
- Fellow Member, American Association of Electro-Diagnostic Medicine
Honors & Awards
- Clerkship Preceptor of the Year Award, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- Outstanding Physician of the Year Award, VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System
- Outstanding Professional Employee (Medical/Scientific) Bronze Award Excellence in Government
Selected Recent Publications
Pugh MJ, Tabares J, Finley E, Bollinger M, Tortorice K, Vancott AC. Changes in antiepileptic drug choice for older veterans with new-onset epilepsy: 2002 to 2006. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2011 May;59(5):955-6. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2011.03388.x. PMID: 21568976.
VanCott AC, Cramer JA, Copeland LA, Zeber JE, Steinman MA, Dersh JJ, Glickman ME, Mortensen EM, Amuan ME, Pugh MJ. Suicide-related behaviors in older patients with new anti-epileptic drug use: data from the VA hospital system. BMC Med. 2010 Jan 11;8:4. doi: 10.1186/1741-7015-8-4. PMID: 20064226; PMCID: PMC2823654.
Pugh MJ, Van Cott AC, Amuan M, Baca C, Rutecki P, Zack MM, Kobau R. Epilepsy Among Iraq and Afghanistan War Veterans - United States, 2002-2015. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016 Nov 11;65(44):1224-1227. doi: 10.15585/mmwr.mm6544a5. PMID: 27832054.
Raju Sagiraju HK, Wang CP, Amuan ME, Van Cott AC, Altalib HH, Pugh MJV. Antiepileptic drugs and suicide-related behavior: Is it the drug or comorbidity? Neurol Clin Pract. 2018 Aug;8(4):331-339. doi: 10.1212/CPJ.0000000000000489. PMID: 30140585; PMCID: PMC6105073.
Burke DJ, Mahonski SG, Van Cott AC. Breakthrough Seizure Associated With Kratom Use in Patients With Epilepsy. Neurol Clin Pract. 2021 Feb;11(1):78-84. doi: 10.1212/CPJ.0000000000000846. PMID: 33968476; PMCID: PMC8101317.