Dr. Bagić has focused his clinical practice on diagnosing and treating (pharmacologically and nonpharmacologically) patients with the most challenging epilepsies and optimizing the use of MEG in the process. Institutionally, he is currently focused on enhancing epilepsy care across the UPMC System through the Epilepsy System of Care (ESC) and Epilepsy Center of Excellence (ECE) and promoting now greatly strengthened the UPMC Adult Epilepsy Program nationally and internationally. Externally, Dr. Bagić continues to work passionately on advancing clinical MEG practice and spearheading national and international efforts leading towards the first internationally accepted MEG Clinical Practice Guidelines (CPG). Dr. Bagić continues to expand his diverse research engagements and intensify advocacy work through the Epilepsy Association of Western and Central PA.
Education & Training
- PhD, University of Zagreb Medical School, Zagreb, Croatia, Neurology-Epilepsy
- MSc, University of Zagreb Medical School, Zagreb, Croatia, Molecular Biology
- MD, University of Zagreb Medical School, Zagreb, Croatia, Medicine
- Fellow, NINDS/NIH, Bethesda, MD, Epilepsy, CNP-EEG, Sleep, MEG, Clinical Research
- Resident, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC, Neurology
Specialized Areas of Clinical, Research and/or Educational Interests
- Research: Research applications of MEG in understanding epilepsies, dementia and cognitive processes
- Clinical: Clinical Magnetoencephalography (MEG) – indications, patterns of use and practice;
- Drug Resistant Epilepsy (DRE); Advanced pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic treatments of DRE
- Education: Social consequences of DRE including public perception and stigmatization
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- American Board of Sleep medicine (ABSM) - SLEEP
- ABPN Subspecialty Board - CLINICAL NEUROPHYSIOLOGY
- ABPN Subspecialty Board - EPILEPSY
Professional Organization Membership
- American Academy of Neurology (AAN)
- American Epilepsy Society (AES)
- American Clinical MEG Society (ACMEGS), Founding Member
- American Clinical Neurophysiology Society (ACNS)
Honors & Awards
- Board Member, National Association of Epilepsy Centers (NAEC
- Fellow, American Clinical Neurophysiology Society (ACNS
- Fellow, American Epilepsy Society (AES
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology (JCNP)
- Guest Editor, Topical MEG Issue of the JCNP
Bagić AI, Burgess RC. Clinical Magnetoencephalography Practice in the United States Ten Years Later: A Survey-Based Reappraisal. J Clin Neurophysiol. 2020 Nov;37(6):592-598. doi: 10.1097/WNP.0000000000000693. Erratum in: J Clin Neurophysiol. 2021 Mar 1;38(2):160. PMID: 33165232.
Bagić AI, Burgess RC. Utilization of MEG Among the US Epilepsy Centers: A Survey-Based Appraisal. J Clin Neurophysiol. 2020 Nov;37(6):599-605. doi: 10.1097/WNP.0000000000000716. PMID: 33165233.
Scheuer ML, Wilson SB, Antony A, Ghearing G, Urban A, Bagić AI. Seizure Detection: Interreader Agreement and Detection Algorithm Assessments Using a Large Dataset. J Clin Neurophysiol. 2021 Sep 1;38(5):439-447. doi: 10.1097/WNP.0000000000000709. PMID: 32472781; PMCID: PMC8404956.
Birnbaum AK, Meador KJ, Karanam A, Brown C, May RC, Gerard EE, Gedzelman ER, Penovich PE, Kalayjian LA, Cavitt J, Pack AM, Miller JW, Stowe ZN, Pennell PB; MONEAD Investigator Group. Antiepileptic Drug Exposure in Infants of Breastfeeding Mothers With Epilepsy. JAMA Neurol. 2020 Apr 1;77(4):441-450. doi: 10.1001/jamaneurol.2019.4443. PMID: 31886825; PMCID: PMC6990802.
Bagić AI, Bowyer SM, Kirsch HE, Funke ME, Burgess RC; ACMEGS Position Statement Committee. American Clinical MEG Society (ACMEGS) Position Statement #2: The Value of Magnetoencephalography (MEG)/Magnetic Source Imaging (MSI) in Noninvasive Presurgical Mapping of Eloquent Cortices of Patients Preparing for Surgical Interventions. J Clin Neurophysiol. 2017 May;34(3):189-195. doi: 10.1097/WNP.0000000000000366. PMID: 28059855.