Bishow Mahat, MD, comes from Jumla, a small village in Western Nepal. Raised in the shadow of the great Himalayan mountains, he completed his high school education at St. Xavier's College, Maitighar under Tribhuwan University in Kathmandu, the capital city of Nepal. After completing medical school, Dr. Mahat took the route to the United States and the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) by serving in the military for three years. After experiencing different tiers of social and economic aspects of life and medical care, he is blessed to be given the opportunity to learn his trades at the University of Pittsburgh. Neurology has a special place in his heart and he feels lucky to call UPMC and Pittsburgh 'home'. Outside of neurology, Dr. Mahat is passionate about soccer and billiards/snooker.
Education & Training
- MD, Institute of Applied Health Science (IAHS), Chittagong, Bangladesh
- Intermediate of Science (ISc), Biology, St. Xavier's College, Maitighar, Nepal
Specialized Areas of Interest
Vascular neurology and stroke prevention; global health; diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI)
Professional Organization Membership
- American Academy of Neurology
- Society of Vascular and Interventional Neurology
- American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine
Honors & Awards
- Most Valuable Junior Resident, Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh, 2022
- Residency Professionalism Junior Award, Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh, 2022
- MBBS, Gold Medal (Honors), 2014
Selected Recent Publications
Curtis B, Mahat B, Macklin M, Mihalo J, Dakroub AH. Acute Kidney Injury Related to Intoxication From Synthetic Cannabis: Don't You Know That You're Toxic? Cureus. 2022 Mar 23;14(3):e23427. doi: 10.7759/cureus.23427. PMID: 35481311; PMCID: PMC9033635.
Nepal G, Kharel S, Kumar Yadav J, Kumar Yadav S, Bhagat R, Ka Shing Y, Coghlan M, Lal Bhattarai S, Sigdel K, Chandra Mahat B. Low-dose alteplase for the management of acute ischemic stroke in South Asians: A systematic review on cost, efficacy and safety. J Clin Neurosci. 2022 Jul 16;103:92-99. doi: 10.1016/j.jocn.2022.07.002. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35853390.