- Chief, Neuromuscular Division
- Director, MDA Care Center
- Co-Director, EMG Laboratory, UPMC Presbyterian
- Associate Editor, Journal of Clinical Neuromuscular Disease
Dr. Lacomis’ practice is focused on the clinical, electrodiagnostic, and pathologic aspects of neuromuscular diseases. Particular areas of research as well as clinical expertise include myasthenia gravis, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, and muscle diseases. Teaching and administrative activities are integrated within his subspecialty.
Education & Training
- Senior Fellow, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Neuromuscular Diseases and Electromyography
- Fellow, University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Neuromuscular Diseases, Electromyograph, Neuropathology
- Resident, Harvard Longwood Program, Neurology
- Resident, Pennsylvania State University, Internal Medicine
- MD, Pennsylvania State University
Specialized Areas of Clinical, Research and/or Educational Interests
- Research: ALS (drug trials, technology, biomarkers, genetic causes, epidemiology); Myasthenia gravis (outcomes, drug trials); Critical illness neuromuscular diseases; Autoimmune myopathies
- Clinical: Myasthenia gravis; Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS); Muscle diseases; Electromyography; Neuromuscular Pathology
- Education: Electrodiagnostic testing; Neuromuscular diseases; Neuromuscular pathology
- Teaching: electrodiagnostic testing, neuromuscular diseases, neuromuscular pathology
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology: Neurology
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology: Added Qualifications in Clinical Neurophysiology
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology: Neuromuscular Medicine
- American Board of Electrodiagnostic Medicine
Professional Organization Membership
- American Academy of Neurology, Fellow
- American Association of Electrodiagnostic Medicine, Fellow
- American Neurological Association
Honors & Awards
- Pittsburgh Magazine, named “Top Doctors”
- Teaching award for medical student education at Brigham & Women's Hospital
- Excellence in Teaching Award from Neurology residents (UPMC)
- Castle Connolly Medical, Inc., named “America’s Top Doctors”
- Elected to American Neurological Association
Selected Recent Publications
Isfort M, McVerry BJ, Shutter L, Kim M, Lacomis D. Perceived utility of electrodiagnostic testing in critical illness myopathy and polyneuropathy: A survey of intensive care unit providers. Muscle Nerve. 2022 Jul;66(1):90-95. doi: 10.1002/mus.27561. Epub 2022 May 6. PMID: 35470438.
Kocoloski A, Martinez S, Moghadam-Kia S, Lacomis D, Oddis CV, Ascherman DP, Aggarwal R. Role of Intravenous Immunoglobulin in Necrotizing Autoimmune Myopathy. J Clin Rheumatol. 2022 Mar 1;28(2):e517-e520. doi: 10.1097/RHU.0000000000001786. PMID: 34581697.
Oddis CV, Rockette HE, Zhu L, Koontz DC, Lacomis D, Venturupalli S, Moghadam-Kia S, Ascherman DP, Crofford L, Dimachkie MM, Ernste F, Gazeley D, Marder G, Aggarwal R. Randomized Trial of Tocilizumab in the Treatment of Refractory Adult Polymyositis and Dermatomyositis. ACR Open Rheumatol. 2022 Nov;4(11):983-990. doi: 10.1002/acr2.11493. Epub 2022 Sep 20. PMID: 36128663; PMCID: PMC9661830.
Donohue C, Carnaby G, Reilly MC, Colquhoun RJ, Lacomis D, Garand KLF. A meta-analysis of post-exercise outcomes in people with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. eNeurologicalSci. 2023 Feb 21;31:100452. doi: 10.1016/j.ensci.2023.100452. PMID: 36875937; PMCID: PMC9982645.
Lacomis D. What Is in the Myopathy Literature? J Clin Neuromuscul Dis. 2023 Mar 1;24(3):130-139. doi: 10.1097/CND.0000000000000440. PMID: 36809200.