- Medical Director, Deep Brain Stimulation Program
Dr. Homayoun’s clinical and research interests are focused on the management of various movement disorders with a special interest in deep brain stimulation therapy for Parkinson disease, essential tremor and dystonia. He participates in the multidisciplinary approach utilizing neuromodulation for management of movement disorders. He is also interested in management of movement disorders, primarily dystonia and spasticity, with EMG-guided botulinum toxin therapy. Dr. Homayoun also has a great interest in teaching neurology to medical students, residents, fellows, and non-neurologist medical professionals.
Education & Training
- MD, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Medicine
- Resident, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Neurology
- Fellow, Rush University, Movement Disorders
- Post Doc, Yale University, Neuroscience
- Post Doc, University of Pittsburgh
Specialized Areas of Clinical, Research and/or Educational Interests
- Clinical: Deep Brain stimulation therapy for movement disorders; Botulinum toxin therapy for movement disorders and spasticity; Parkinson disease, atypical parkinsonism, dystonia, Tourette syndrome, ataxia, chorea
- Research: Mechanisms and methods of deep brain stimulation therapy
- Education: Movement disorders for medical students, residents and fellows; development of neurology educational platforms for internists
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Professional Organization Membership
- American Academy of Neurology
- The International Parkinson and Movement Disorder Society
- Parkinson Study Group
Honors & Awards
- Tourette Syndrome Association Research Fellowship Award
- Motivational Neural Network Meeting Fellowship award
Homayoun H. Parkinson Disease. Ann Intern Med. 2018 Sep 4;169(5):ITC33-ITC48. doi: 10.7326/AITC201809040. PMID: 30178019.
Homayoun, H (2018) Movement Disorders and Neuromuscular Disorders. In Medical Knowledge Self-Assessment Program (MKSAP18) Neurology. American College of Physicians.
Jain, S, Homayoun, H (2018) Pediatric movement disorders and infectious disease. In Pediatric Practice: Infectious diseases (2nd Edition). Editor: Shah, SS. McGraw-Hill.
Moshayedi P, Thomas D, Rinaldo CR, Moossy JJ, Maroon JC, Murdoch GH, Hamilton RL, Homayoun H. Subacute histopathological features in a case of varicella zoster virus myelitis and post-herpetic neuralgia. Spinal Cord Ser Cases. 2018 Apr 4;4:33. doi: 10.1038/s41394-018-0068-5. PMID: 29707236; PMCID: PMC5884843.
Lee PS, Weiner GM, Corson D, Kappel J, Chang YF, Suski VR, Berman SB, Homayoun H, Van Laar AD, Crammond DJ, Richardson RM. Outcomes of Interventional-MRI Versus Microelectrode Recording-Guided Subthalamic Deep Brain Stimulation. Front Neurol. 2018 Apr 11;9:241. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2018.00241. PMID: 29695996; PMCID: PMC5904198.