Dr. Pilato’s clinical interests focus on diagnosing and treating neurologic disorders which present rapidly or require neurologic hospitalization including: seizures, headaches, neuro-infections, neuro-inflammation, neuromuscular weakness and disorders of consciousness, as well as neurologic symptoms and disorders that arise in hospitalized patients. She completed a Clinical Neurophysiology/EEG fellowship and can interpret EEG at the bedside for hospitalized patients. When not on service in the hospital, she sees patients in the Rapid Access Neurology Clinic and reads EEGs.
Education & Training
- MD, University of Rochester School of Medicine & Dentistry, Medicine
- Internship, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Internal Medicine
- Residency, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Neurology
- Fellowship, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Clinical Neurophysiology/EEG
Specialized Areas of Clinical, Research and/or Educational Interests
- Clinical: Neurohospitalist, Urgent Neurologic Care, General Neurology, EEG
- Education: Didactics and bedside teaching for medical students and residents on inpatient neurology services
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Professional Organization Membership
- American Academy of Neurology
Honors & Awards
- Neurology Resident Medical Student Teaching Award, 2019
- Junior Resident MVP Award, 2017
Selected Recent Publications
Pilato MS, Urban A, Alkawadri, R, Barot NV, Castellano, JF, Rajasekaran V, Bagic, AI, Fong-Isariyawongse JS. EEG findings in coronavirus disease. J Clin Neurophysiol doi: 10.1097/WNP.0000000000000752, 2020.
Paolini SL, Pilato M, Rajasekaran V, Waters JFR, Bagic A, Urban A. Outcomes in three cases after brivaracetam treatment during pregnancy. Acta Neurol Scand 141(5):438-441, 2020.
Catherine C, Yanta C, Saand AR, Pilato M, Chou SHY. Pearls & Oy-sters: The dangers of PRES. An atypical case with life-threatening presentation. Neurology Resident & Fellow Section, 2019.
Waters JFR, O’Neal MA, Pilato M, Waters S, Larkin JC, Waters JH. Management of anesthesia and delivery in women with Chiari I malformations. Obstet Gynecol 132(5):1180-1184, 2018.