- Associate Director of the UPMC Stroke Institute
- Director, Comprehensive Stroke Center, UPMC Presbyterian
- Director, Comprehensive Stroke Center, UPMC Mercy
- Director, Stroke Services, UPMC Shadyside
- Director, Vascular Neurology Fellowship
Dr. Starr is an Assistant Professor of Neurology, the Associate Director of the UPMC Stroke Institute, Director of the Vascular Neurology Fellowship, and Stroke Neurologist at UPMC who is actively involved in student, resident, and fellow education, as well as research. He is the director of the Comprehensive Stroke Centers at UPMC Presbyterian, UPMC Mercy, and Primary Stroke Center at Shadyside working with large multidisciplinary groups to provide quality stroke care for patients with ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke. His clinical and research focus is on ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke, focusing on cryptogenic stroke. The goal of his clinical practice is identifying the etiology of patient’s strokes and directing secondary prevention.
Education & Training
- Fellow, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Vascular Neurology
- Resident, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Neurology
- MD, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Medicine
Specialized Areas of Clinical, Research and/or Educational Interests
- Research: Cardioembolic and Cryptogenic Stroke
- Clinical: Cardioembolic and Cryptogenic Stroke
- Education: Fellow and resident education in Stroke Management
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology: Neurology
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology: Vascular Neurology
Professional Organization Membership
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Heart Association/American Stroke Association
Selected Recent Publications
Garg A, Rocha M, Starr M, Ortega-Gutierrez S. Predictors and outcomes of hemorrhagic stroke in reversible cerebral vasoconstriction syndrome. J Neurol Sci. 2021 Feb 15;421:117312. doi: 10.1016/j.jns.2021.117312. Epub 2021 Jan 7. PMID: 33454590.
Sobhani F, Desai S, Madill E, Starr M, Rocha M, Molyneaux B, Jovin T, Wechsler L, Jadhav A. Remote Longitudinal Inpatient Acute Stroke Care Via Telestroke. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2021 Jun;30(6):105749. doi: 10.1016/j.jstrokecerebrovasdis.2021.105749. Epub 2021 Mar 27. PMID: 33784522.
Khatri P, Kleindorfer DO, Devlin T, Sawyer RN Jr, Starr M, Mejilla J, Broderick J, Chatterjee A, Jauch EC, Levine SR, Romano JG, Saver JL, Vagal A, Purdon B, Devenport J, Pavlov A, Yeatts SD; PRISMS Investigators. Effect of Alteplase vs Aspirin on Functional Outcome for Patients With Acute Ischemic Stroke and Minor Nondisabling Neurologic Deficits: The PRISMS Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2018 Jul 10;320(2):156-166. doi: 10.1001/jama.2018.8496. PMID: 29998337; PMCID: PMC6583516.