Dr. Starr is an Assistant Professor of Neurology, the Associate Director of the UPMC Stroke Institute, Director of the Vascular Neurology Fellowship, and Stroke Neurologist at UPMC who is actively involved in student, resident, and fellow education, as well as research. He is the director of the Comprehensive Stroke Centers at UPMC Presbyterian, UPMC Mercy, and Primary Stroke Center at Shadyside working with large multidisciplinary groups to provide quality stroke care for patients with ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke. His clinical and research focus is on ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke, focusing on cryptogenic stroke. The goal of his clinical practice is identifying the etiology of patient’s strokes and directing secondary prevention.
Education & Training
- MD, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, Medicine
- Resident, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Neurology
- Fellow, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Vascular Neurology
Specialized Areas of Clinical, Research and/or Educational Interests
- Research: Cardioembolic and Cryptogenic Stroke
- Clinical: Cardioembolic and Cryptogenic Stroke
- Education: Fellow and resident education in Stroke Management
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology: Neurology
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology: Vascular Neurology
Professional Organization Membership
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Heart Association/American Stroke Association
Garg A, Rocha M, Starr M, Ortega-Gutierrez S. Preidctors and outcoms of hemorrhagic stroke in reversible cerebral vasoconstriction syndrome. J Neurol Sci. 2021 Feb15;421:117312.
Sobhani F, Desai S, Madill E, Starr M, Rocha M, Molyneaux B, Jovin T, Wechsler L, Jadhav A. Remote Longitudinal Inpatient Acute Stroke Care Via Telestroke. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2021 Jun;30(6):105749.
Khatri P, Kleindorfer DO, Devlin T, Sawyer RN Jr, Starr M, Mejilla J, Broderick J, Chatterjee A, Jauch EC, Levine SR, Romano JG, Saver JL, Vagal A, Purdon B, Devenport J, Pavlov A, Yeatts SD; PRISMS Investigators. Effect of Alteplase vs Aspirin on Functional Outcome for Patients With Acute Ischemic Stroke and Minor Nondisabling Neurologic Deficits: The PRISMS Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2018 Jul 10;320(2):156-166. doi: 10.1001/jama.2018.8496.