Dr. Shehab-Eldin is an interventional and vascular neurologist at UPMC Altoona, specialized in endovascular and medical management of ischemic and hemorrhagic strokes, aneurysms and vascular malformations. His research interests include endovascular management of acute ischemic stroke, carotid disease, and intracranial atherosclerotic disease.
Education & Training
- Fellow, Thomas Jefferson University Hospitals, Endovascular Neurosurgery
- Fellow, Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, Vascular Neurology
- Resident, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Neurology
- MD, Mansoura University, Egypt
Specialized Areas of Clinical, Research and/or Educational Interests
- Neuroendovascular interventions and medical management: Acute ischemic and hemorrhagic stroke, carotid and vertebral artery disease, intracranial atherosclerotic disease, cerebral aneurysms and subarachnoid hemorrhage, chronic subdural hematoma, arteriovenous malformations and fistulas, and cerebral venous sinus disease
- Education: Residents and fellows education, medical and endovascular stroke management and prevention
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology: Neurology
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology: Vascular Neurology
Professional Organization Membership
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Heart Association/American Stroke Association (AHA/ASA)
- Society of Vascular and Interventional Neurology
Selected Recent Publications
Shehabeldin M, Eby B, Wallace AN, Salter A, Chatterjee AR, Osbun JW, Moran CJ, Cross DT, Kansagra AP. Effect of Intravenous Thrombolysis on Clot Survival during Mechanical Thrombectomy in Acute Large Vessel Occlusion Strokes. Neurosurgery. 2021 Nov 18;89(6):1027-1032. doi: 10.1093/neuros/nyab344. PMID: 34528088.
Munoz A, Jabre R, Orenday-Barraza JM, Eldin MS, Chen CJ, Al-Saiegh F, Abbas R, El Naamani K, Gooch MR, Jabbour PM, Tjoumakaris S, Rosenwasser RH, Herial NA. A review of mechanical thrombectomy techniques for acute ischemic stroke. Interv Neuroradiol. 2022 Mar 3:15910199221084481. doi: 10.1177/15910199221084481. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35238227.
Mohamed Shehabeldin, Larami Mackenzie, Hana Choe, and Osman Kozak. Abstract 1122‐000177: Dural Arteriovenous Fistulas with Traumatic Subdural Hematomas: A Case Series. Stroke: Vascular and Interventional Neurology. 2021;1:e12034. https://doi.org/10.1161/SVIN.01.suppl_1.000177
Al Saiegh F, Munoz A, Velagapudi L, Theofanis T, Suryadevara N, Patel P, Jabre R, Chen CJ, Shehabeldin M, Gooch MR, Jabbour P, Tjoumakaris S, Rosenwasser RH, Herial NA. Patient and procedure selection for mechanical thrombectomy: Toward personalized medicine and the role of artificial intelligence. J Neuroimaging. 2022 May 14. doi: 10.1111/jon.13003. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35567418.
Shehabeldin M, Ferdous Mst J, Alderazi YJ. Retrieval of Migrated Coils Using Stent Retrievers: A Case Series and Literature Review. J Vasc Interv Neurol. Vol.12, No. 1, pp. 58-63. March, 2021.
Gomez J, Shehabeldin M, Almekdash MH, Keesari R, Alderazi YJ. Angiographic And Clinical Response Of Intracranial Atherosclerotic Disease Large Vessel Occlusion Stroke Undergoing Mechanical Thrombectomy. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2020 Oct;29(10):105148. doi: 10.1016/j.jstrokecerebrovasdis.2020.105148. Epub 2020 Jul 22. PMID: 32912534.