- Division Chief, Cerebrovascular Medicine
- Director, UPMC Stroke Institute
Dr. Nogueira’s clinical and research interests focus on the treatment of cerebrovascular diseases. He is a Past President of the Society of Vascular and Interventional Neurology and the former Editor-In-Chief of the Interventional Neurology journal. He has had a global leadership role in many of the landmark stroke thrombectomy trials. He has published close to 450 peer-reviewed manuscripts including first or senior author papers in the NEJM, Lancet, and JAMA. He is a world-renowned researcher having lectured in 25 countries.
Education & Training
- Fellow, Harvard Medical School/Massachusetts General Hospital, Interventional Neurology and Endovascular Neurosurgery
- Fellow, Diagnostic Neuroradiology, Harvard Medical School/Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Harvard Medical School/Massachusetts General Hospital, Vascular and Critical Care Neurology
- Residency, Harvard Medical School/Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham and Women's Hospital, Neurology
- Residency, Internal Medicine, University of Miami
- MD, Federal University of Ceara, Fortaleza, Brazil
Specialized Areas of Clinical, Research and/or Educational Interests
- Research: Treatment of Acute Ischemic Stroke
- Clinical: Treatmet of Cerebrovascuar disorders including stroke, carotid disease, aneurysms and vascular malformations
- Education: Treatment of Cerebrovascular disorders including stroke, carotid disease, aneurysms and vascular malformations
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- American Society of Neuroimaging
- United Council for Neurologic Subspecialties, Neurocritical Care
- Society of Neurological Surgeons, Neuroendovascular Surgery
Professional Organization Membership
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Heart Association
- Society of Vascular and Interventional Neurology
- Society of NeuroInterventional Surgery
- European Stroke Organization
- World Stroke Organization
Honors & Awards
- SVIN Pilot Research Grant Senior Investigators Award, Society of Vascular and Interventional Neurology, 2021
- Senior Faculty Recipient,Albert E. Levy Award for Scientific Research, Emory University, 2021
- Mentoring Award, Emory School of Medicine, 2020
- Lee Raccoon Stroke Annual Lecture Award, University of Washington, 2020
- Kaplan Lecture Award, New York University, 2019
- Juan Taveras Lectureship Award, Harvard Medical School, 2018
- L. Nelson Hopkins Lectureship Award, Congress of Neurological Surgeons, 2018
- Innovation Award, Society of Vascular and Interventional Neurology, 2018
- Faculty Excellence Award, Emory Universty, 2018
- Millipub Club Award, Emory University, 2018
- Health Care Innovator/Researcher Award, Atlanta Business Chronicle, 2018
- Presidential Award, Society of Vascular and Interventional Neurology, 2017
- Distinguished Service Award, Society of Vascular and Interventional Neurology, 2017
- Robert G. Siekert New Investigator Award in Stroke, American Heart Association, International Stroke Conference in San Diego, 2009
Selected Recent Publications
Nogueira RG, Lutsep HL, Gupta R, Jovin TG, Albers GW, Walker GA, Liebeskind DS, Smith WS, for the TREVO 2 Trialists. Trevo versus Merci retrievers for thrombectomy revascularisation of large vessel occlusions in acute ischaemic stroke (TREVO2): a randomized trial. Lancet. 2012 Oct 6;380(9849):1231-40.
Nogueira RG, Jadhav AP, Haussen DC, Bonafe A, Budzik RF, Bhuva P, Yavagal DR, Ribo M, Cognard C, Hanel RA, Sila CA, Hassan AE, Millan M, Levy EI, Mitchell P, Chen M, English JD, Shah QA, Silver FL, Pereira VM, Mehta BP, Baxter BW, Abraham MG, Cardona P, Veznedaroglu E, Hellinger FR, Feng L, Kirmani JF, Lopes DK, Jankowitz BT, Frankel MR, Costalat V, Vora NA, Yoo AJ, Malik AM, Furlan AJ, Rubiera M, Aghaebrahim A, Olivot JM, Tekle WG, Shields R, Graves T, Lewis RJ, Smith WS, Liebeskind DS, Saver JL, Jovin TG; DAWN Trial Investigators. Thrombectomy 6 to 24 Hours after Stroke with a Mismatch between Deficit and Infarct. N Engl J Med. 2018 Jan 4;378(1):11-21.
Liu X, Dai Q, Ye R, Zi W, Liu Y, Wang H, Zhu W, Ma M, Yin Q, Li M, Fan X, Sun W, Han Y, Lv Q, Liu R, Yang D, Shi Z, Zheng D, Deng X, Wan Y, Wang Z, Geng Y, Chen X, Zhou Z, Liao G, Jin P, Liu Y, Liu X, Zhang M, Zhou F, Shi H, Zhang Y, Guo F, Yin C, Niu G, Zhang M, Cai X, Zhu Q, Chen Z, Liang Y, Li B, Lin M, Wang W, Xu H, Fu X, Liu W, Tian X, Gong Z, Shi H, Wang C, Lv P, Tao Z, Zhu L, Yang S, Hu W, Jiang P, Liebeskind DS, Pereira VM, Leung T, Yan B, Davis S, Xu G, Nogueira RG, BEST Trial Investigators. Endovascular treatment versus standard medical treatment for vertebrobasilar artery occlusion (BEST): an open-label, randomised controlled trial. Lancet Neurol. 2020 Feb;19(2):115-122
Martins SO, Mont'Alverne F, Rebello LC, Abud DG, Silva GS, Lima FO, Parente BSM, Nakiri GS, Faria MB, Frudit ME, de Carvalho JJF, Waihrich E, Fiorot JA Jr, Cardoso FB, Hidalgo RCT, Zétola VF, Carvalho FM, de Souza AC, Dias FA, Bandeira D, Miranda Alves M, Wagner MB, Carbonera LA, Oliveira-Filho J, Bezerra DC, Liebeskind DS, Broderick J, Molina CA, Fogolin Passos JE, Saver JL, Pontes-Neto OM, Nogueira RG; RESILIENT Investigators. Thrombectomy for Stroke in the Public Health Care System of Brazil. N Engl J Med. 2020 Jun 11;382(24):2316-2326.
Saver JL, Goyal M, Bonafe A, Diener HC, Levy EI, Pereira VM, Albers GW, Cognard C, Cohen DJ, Hacke W, Jansen O, Jovin TG, Mattle HP, Nogueira RG, Siddiqui AH, Yavagal DR, Baxter BW, Devlin TG, Lopes DK, Reddy VK, du Mesnil de Rochemont R, Singer OC, Jahan R; SWIFT PRIME Investigators. Stent-retriever thrombectomy after intravenous t-PA vs. t-PA alone in stroke. N Engl J Med. 2015 Jun 11;372(24):2285-2295.
Zi W, Qiu Z, Li F, Sang H, Wu D, Luo W, Liu S, Yuan J, Song J, Shi Z, Huang W, Zhang M, Liu W, Guo Z, Qiu T, Shi Q, Zhou P, Wang L, Fu X, Liu S, Yang S, Zhang S, Zhou Z, Huang X, Wang Y, Luo J, Bai Y, Zhang M, Wu Y, Zeng G, Wan Y, Wen C, Wen H, Ling W, Chen Z, Peng M, Ai Z, Guo F, Li H, Guo J, Guan H, Wang Z, Liu Y, Pu J, Wang Z, Liu H, Chen L, Huang J, Yang G, Gong Z, Shuai J, Nogueira RG, Yang Q; DEVT Trial Investigators. Effect of Endovascular Treatment Alone vs Intravenous Alteplase Plus Endovascular Treatment on Functional Independence in Patients With Acute Ischemic Stroke: The DEVT Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2021 Jan 19;325(3):234-243
Jovin TG,* Nogueira RG*, Lansberg MG, Demchuk AM, Martins SO, Mocco J, Ribo M, Jadhav AP, Ortega-Gutierrez S, Hill MD, Lima FO, Haussen DC, Brown S, Goyal M, Siddiqui AH, Heit JJ, Menon BK, Kemp S, Budzik R, Urra X, Marks MP, Costalat V, Liebeskind DS, Albers GW. Thrombectomy for anterior circulation stroke beyond 6 h from time last known well (AURORA): a systematic review and individual patient data meta-analysis. Lancet. 2021 Nov 11:S0140-6736(21)01341-6.