- Investigator, Alzheimer's Disease Research Center
- Leader of Frontotemporal Dementia Consortium, Alzheimer's Disease Research Center
Dr. Patira is fellowship trained and board-certified in Behavioral neurology and Neuropsychiatry. Her clinical and research interests focus on the various cognitive disorders especially neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease, frontotemporal dementia, and other types of dementia. As an investigator at Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center at University of Pittsburgh, she is involved in clinical research that includes neuropsychological assessments, biomarker studies, and drug trials involving patients with various types of dementia. She leads the Frontotemporal Dementia Consortium at the Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center with research focus on various types of frontotemporal dementia. She also directs the cognitive disorders clinic elective rotations to support a well-rounded and balanced education for medical students, residents and fellows.
Education & Training
- Fellow, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Neurology
- Resident, Temple University, Philadelphia, Neurology
- MD, Pt. J. N. M. Medical College, Raipur, India, Medicine
Specialized Areas of Clinical, Research and/or Educational Interests
- Research: Neurodegeneration; Cognition
- Clinical: Dementia
- Education: Supervise Training in Cognitive Neurology
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- United Council for Neurologic Subspecialties
Professional Organization Membership
- Member, American Academy of Neurology
Honors & Awards
- 15th Annual Matthew T. Moore award for outstanding research presentation, Department of Neurology, Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia
- 2nd Annual Aryana Patel Award for Exemplary Humanism, Compassion and Hope in the Field of Neurology; Department of Neurology, Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia
- Gold Medal for Research on Adolescent Addiction, State Level Conference, Indian Association of Pediatrics, India
Selected Recent Publications
Patira R, Vaishnavi S. Clinical Management of Patients with Alzheimer's disease. Practical Neurology. 2018: 49-52
Patira R, Ciniglia L, Calvert T, Altschuler EL. Pure apraxia of speech due to infarct in premotor cortex. Neurol Neurochir Pol. 2017 Nov-Dec;51(6):519-524. doi: 10.1016/j.pjnns.2017.08.006. Epub 2017 Aug 18. PMID: 28844393.
Patira R, Zhao H, Azizi A. A retrospective analysis of care in patients with dementia hospitalized at a tertiary medical center. Aging Ment Health. 2018 Jun;22(6):773-777. doi: 10.1080/13607863.2017.1304525. Epub 2017 Mar 22. PMID: 28326805.
Patira R, Smith-Benjamin S, Ramachandran VS, Altschuler EL. Palilalia due to steroid-responsive encephalopathy. Neurol Clin Pract. 2017 Jun;7(3):e23-e25. doi: 10.1212/CPJ.0000000000000278. PMID: 30107006; PMCID: PMC6081963.
Brown C, Smith-Benjamin S, Patira R, Altschuler EL. Isolated, relative aproverbia without focal lesion. Neurocase. 2016 Jun;22(3):263-8. doi: 10.1080/13554794.2016.1139728. Epub 2016 Feb 2. PMID: 26836570.