- Chief, Neuroimmunology/MS Division
Dr. Heyman’s clinical and research interests focus on the care and treatment of people with MS and related neuro-immunologic disease of the central nervous system.
Education & Training
- MD, The Ohio State University, College of Medicine, Medicine
- Intern, Montefiore Hospital, Pittsburgh PA, Neurology
- Resident, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Neurology
Fellow, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Neurology
Specialized Areas of Clinical, Research and/or Educational Interests
- Clinical: Evaluation of issues related to care provision and costs of care in MS
- Education: Training of medical students, residents and fellows in the evaluation and treatment of MS and related disorders; Training of medical students, residents and fellows in a detailed neurological examination; Training of residents and fellows in state-of-the-art lumbar puncture utilization and performance.
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Neurology
Professional Organization Membership
- American Academy of Neurology
- Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers
Honors & Awards
- Working Women with Disability Award
- Community Hero Award from CLASS (Community Living and Support Services)
Selected Recent Publications
Levin SN, Riley CS, Dhand A, White CC, Venkatesh S, Boehm B, Nassif C, Socia L, Onomichi K, Leavitt VM, Levine L, Heyman R, Farber RS, Vargas WS, Xia Z, De Jager PL. Association of social network structure and physical function in patients with multiple sclerosis. Neurology. 2020 Sep 15;95(11):e1565-e1574. doi: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000010460. Epub 2020 Aug 7. PMID: 32769139; PMCID: PMC7713741.
Schott CK, Hirzallah MI, Heyman R, Lesky DN, Brant EB, Callaway CW. Ultrasound measurement of optic nerve sheath diameter pre- and post-lumbar puncture. Ultrasound J. 2020 May 13;12(1):26. doi: 10.1186/s13089-020-00173-8. PMID: 32399786; PMCID: PMC7218034.
San-Juan-Rodriguez A, Good CB, Heyman RA, Parekh N, Shrank WH, Hernandez I. Trends in Prices, Market Share, and Spending on Self-administered Disease-Modifying Therapies for Multiple Sclerosis in Medicare Part D. JAMA Neurol. 2019 Nov 1;76(11):1386-1390. doi: 10.1001/jamaneurol.2019.2711. PMID: 31449293; PMCID: PMC6714023.
Klatt BN, Sparto PJ, Terhorst L, Winser S, Heyman R, Whitney SL. Relationship between subjective visual vertical and balance in individuals with multiple sclerosis. Physiother Res Int. 2019 Jan;24(1):e1757. doi: 10.1002/pri.1757. Epub 2018 Nov 7. PMID: 30403321; PMCID: PMC6361533.
Winser S, Smith CM, Hale LA, Claydon LS, Whitney SL, Klatt B, Mottershead J, Zaydan I, Heyman R. Psychometric Properties of a Core Set of Measures of Balance for People With Cerebellar Ataxia Secondary to Multiple Sclerosis. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2017 Feb;98(2):270-276. doi: 10.1016/j.apmr.2016.07.023. Epub 2016 Aug 27. PMID: 27577181.