- Director, MDA-ALS Center
Dr. Al Lahham has years of clinical experience providing comprehensive management for neurological conditions with subspeciality in the clinical and electrodiagnostic aspect of neuromuscular medicine. His clinical and research practice focus on amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and myasthenia gravis. The goals of his research are to identify the pathophysiological processes that cause motor neuron degeneration and to find novel therapeutic interventions.
Education & Training
- Fellow, Northwestern University, Neuromuscular Diseases and Neuropathology
- Fellow, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Neurophysiology- Electromyography, and neuromuscular diseases
- Resident, Saint Louis University, Neurology
- Resident, Saint Louis University, Internal Medicine
- MD, Damascus University School of Medicine
Specialized Areas of Clinical, Research and/or Educational Interests
- Research: ALS (drug trials, biomarkers, technology)
- Clinical: Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS); Myasthenia gravis; Muscle diseases; Neuropathy; Electromyography
- Education: Electrodiagnostic testing; neuromuscular diseases
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology: Neurology
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology: Neuromuscular Medicine
- American Board of Electrodiagnostic Medicine
Professional Organization Membership
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine
Honors & Awards
- Orlando Health, named “Top Doctors” 2019-2020
- Teaching award for medical student education at Saint Louis University Hospital
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke Fellowship Award- Clinical Trial Methods Course
Fournier CN, Murphy A, Loci L, Mitsumoto H, Lomen-Hoerth C, Kisanuki Y, Simmons Z, Maragakis NJ, McVey AL, Al-Lahham T, Heiman-Patterson TD, Andrews J, McDonnell E, Cudkowicz M, Atassi N. Primary Lateral Sclerosis and Early Upper Motor Neuron Disease: Characteristics of a Cross-Sectional Population. J Clin Neuromuscul Dis. 2016 Mar;17(3):99-105. doi: 10.1097/CND.0000000000000102. PMID: 26905909; PMCID: PMC4770823.
Gundogdu B, Al-Lahham T, Kadlubar F, Spencer H, Rudnicki SA. Racial differences in motor neuron disease. Amyotroph Lateral Scler Frontotemporal Degener. 2014 Mar;15(1-2):114-8. doi: 10.3109/21678421.2013.837930. Epub 2013 Sep 25. PMID: 24067242; PMCID: PMC4264350.
Raina S, Paydak H, Al-Lahham T, Shihabuddin BS. Methadone induced Torsades de Pointes mimicking seizures in clinical presentation. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2014 Nov;40(6):490-2. doi: 10.3109/00952990.2014.965311. Epub 2014 Oct 16. PMID: 25321151.