- Associate Program Director, Neurology Residency Training Program
- Medical Director, Epilepsy Surgery Program
Thandar Aung, MD, MS, is a board-certified neurologist with a subspecialty certification in epilepsy and clinical neurophysiology by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. She graduated from the Institute of Medicine Burma, in 2008 and completed adult neurology residency training at Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix, Arizona. She did her postgraduate training in Epilepsy/Clinical Neurophysiology fellowship with emphasis in surgical epilepsy and magnetoencephalography training at Cleveland Clinic.
Education & Training
- Fellow, Cleveland Clinic, Epilepsy
- Resident, Barrow Neurological Institute, Epilepsy
- Resident, St. Francis Hospital (University of Chicago Medical College), Internal Medicine
- MS, University of Arizona, Clinical Translational Science
Specialized Areas of Clinical, Research and/or Educational Interests
- Clinical: Clinical Epilepsy; Presurgical evaluation
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (EPILEPSY)
Professional Organization Membership
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Epilepsy Society
- American Clinical Neurophysiology Society
- American Clinical MEG Society
Honors & Awards
- Top 100 Physicians in Valley by Phoenix Magazine (peer and patient-selected)
- NeuroNEXT Fellow and Grants (20 K) for Career Development at Barrow Neurological Institute)
- Academic Teaching Excellency Award at Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine (CCLCM)
- J. Kiffin Penry Neurostimulation Epilepsy Fellow Course Scholarship
- Physician Award by Neurological Intensive Care Unit, Barrow Neurological Institute
Selected Recent Publications
Aung T, Punia V, Katagiri M, Prayson R, Wang I, Gonzalez-Martinez JA. The feasibility and value of extraoperative and adjuvant intraoperative stereoelectroencephalography in rolandic and perirolandic epilepsies. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2020 Oct 23;27(1):36-46. doi: 10.3171/2020.6.PEDS2099. PMID: 33096530.
Thandar Aung, Irene Wang, Andreas Alexopoulos Coregistration of Multimodal Imaging. A Practical Approach to Stereoelectroencephalography (sEEG), November 2020.
Zhang S, Aung T, Lv Z, Zhao X, Wang P, Shi T, Guo S, Geng Y, Jin B. Epilepsy imitator: tongue biting caused by sleep-related facio-mandibular myoclonus. Seizure. 2020 Oct;81:186-191. doi: 10.1016/j.seizure.2020.08.018. Epub 2020 Aug 17. PMID: 32854036.
Wang S, Jin B, Aung T, Katagiri M, Jones SE, Krishnan B, Gonzalez-Martinez JA, Prayson RA, Najm IM, Alexopoulos AV, Wang S, Ding M, Wang ZI. Application of MRI Post-processing in Presurgical Evaluation of Non-lesional Cingulate Epilepsy. Front Neurol. 2018 Nov 27;9:1013. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2018.01013. PMID: 30538671; PMCID: PMC6277515.
El Tahry R, Wang ZI, Thandar A, Podkorytova I, Krishnan B, Tousseyn S, Guiyun W, Burgess RC, Alexopoulos AV. Magnetoencephalography and ictal SPECT in patients with failed epilepsy surgery. Clin Neurophysiol. 2018 Aug;129(8):1651-1657. doi: 10.1016/j.clinph.2018.05.010. Epub 2018 Jun 6. PMID: 29920428.