Thandar Aung MD MS is a board-certified neurologist with a subspecialty certification in epilepsy and clinical neurophysiology by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. She graduated from the Institute of Medicine Burma, in 2008 and completed adult neurology residency training at Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix, Arizona. She did her postgraduate training in Epilepsy/Clinical Neurophysiology fellowship with emphasis in surgical epilepsy and magnetoencephalography training at Cleveland Clinic.
Education & Training
- MS, University of Arizona, Clinical Translational Science
- Resident, St. Francis Hospital (University of Chicago Medical College), Internal Medicine
- Resident, Barrow Neurological Institute, Epilepsy
- Fellow, Cleveland Clinic, Epilepsy
Specialized Areas of Clinical, Research and/or Educational Interests
- Clinical: Clinical Epilepsy; Presurgical evaluation
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (EPILEPSY)
Professional Organization Membership
- American Academy of Neurology
- American Epilepsy Society
- American Clinical Neurophysiology Society
- American Clinical MEG Society
Honors & Awards
- Top 100 Physicians in Valley by Phoenix Magazine (peer and patient-selected)
- NeuroNEXT Fellow and Grants (20 K) for Career Development at Barrow Neurological Institute)
- Academic Teaching Excellency Award at Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine (CCLCM)
- J. Kiffin Penry Neurostimulation Epilepsy Fellow Course Scholarship
- Physician Award by Neurological Intensive Care Unit, Barrow Neurological Institute
Thandar Aung, Vineet Punia, Masaya Katagiri, Richard Prayson, Irene Wang, Jorge A. Gonzalez-Martinez. The feasibility and Value of Multimodal extra and adjuvant intraoperative stereoelectroencephalography (sEEG) in Rolandic and Peri-Rolandic Epilepsies. JNS Pediatrics; October 2020.
Thandar Aung, Irene Wang, Andreas Alexopoulos Coregistration of Multimodal Imaging. A Practical Approach to Stereoelectroencephalography (sEEG), November 2020.
Sheng Zhanga, Thandar Aunga, Zhijun Lv, Xiaoyu Zhao, Peng Wang, Tianming Shi, Shunyuan Guo,Yu Geng, Bo Jin Epilepsy imitator: tongue biting caused by sleep-related facio-mandibular myoclonus. Seizure August 2020. aco-primary author
Shan Wang, Jin Bo, Thandar Aung, Masaya Katagiri, Stephen E. Jones, Balu Krishnan, Jorge A. Gonzalez-Martinez, Richard A. Prayson, Imad M. Najm, Andreas V. Alexopoulos, Shuang Wang, Meiping Ding and Irene Wang, Application of MRI Post-processing in Presurgical Evaluation of Nonlesional Cingulate Epilepsy. Frontiers in Neurology, November 2018.
El Tahry Reim, Irene Wang, Thandar Aung, Irina Podkorytova, Krishnan Balu, Simon Tousseyn,Guiyun Wu, Richard Burgess, Andreas Alexopoulos, Magnetoencephalography and Ictal SPECT in Patients with Failed Epilepsy Surgery. Clinical Neurophysiology, June 2018.