Dr. Rajasekaran’s clinical interest focus is on intractable epilepsy patients and their treatment modalities that include medical management, surgery, and VNS/RNS. Her research interest is focused on intractable epilepsy, personalized medicine, seizure comorbidities and nonepileptic spells. She has a special interest in teaching and mentoring the budding epileptologist such as clinical fellows, residents, and medical students.
Education & Training
- Fellowship, Mayo Clinic School of Medicine, Clinical Neurophysiology
- Fellowship, Case Western Reserve University, Electroencephalography/Epilepsy
- Residency, West Virginia University, Neurology
- MD, West Virginia University
Specialized Areas of Clinical, Research and/or Educational Interests
- Clinical: Intractable epilepsy, Semiology, Electroencephalography, Prolonged monitoring, Surgical patients
- Research: Intractable epilepsy, SUDEP, Personalized medicine
- Education: Residency exam RITE committee, American epilepsy society CME committee,
- Fellowship lectures, interview committee, ABPN self-study committee, Program evaluation committee, GME education, mentorship.
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Neurology
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Epilepsy
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Clinical Neurophysiology
Professional Organization Membership
- American Academy of Neurology (AAN)
- American Epilepsy Society (AES)
- American Academy Residency Examination Advisory Council (RITE) member
Honors & Awards
- Best poster presentation and GME week winner, West Virginia University
- Nominated for UPMC Physician Leadership Essentials
Selected Recent Publications
Syed TU, LaFrance WC Jr, Kahriman ES, Hasan SN, Rajasekaran V, Gulati D, Borad S, Shahid A, Fernandez-Baca G, Garcia N, Pawlowski M, Loddenkemper T, Amina S, Koubeissi MZ. Can semiology predict psychogenic nonepileptic seizures? A prospective study. Ann Neurol. 2011 Jun;69(6):997-1004. doi: 10.1002/ana.22345. Epub 2011 Mar 17. PMID: 21437930.
Burkholder DB, Britton JW, Rajasekaran V, Fabris RR, Cherian PJ, Kelly-Williams KM, So EL, Nickels KC, Wong-Kisiel LC, Lagerlund TD, Cascino GD, Worrell GA, Wirrell EC. Routine vs extended outpatient EEG for the detection of interictal epileptiform discharges. Neurology. 2016 Apr 19;86(16):1524-30. doi: 10.1212/WNL.0000000000002592. Epub 2016 Mar 16. PMID: 26984946; PMCID: PMC4836883.
Paolini SL, Pilato M, Rajasekaran V, Waters JFR, Bagic A, Urban A. Outcomes in three cases after brivaracetam treatment during pregnancy. Acta Neurol Scand. 2020 May;141(5):438-441. doi: 10.1111/ane.13222. Epub 2020 Jan 24. PMID: 31943124.
Pilato MS, Urban A, Alkawadri R, Barot NV, Castellano JF, Rajasekaran V, Bagić AI, Fong-Isariyawongse JS. EEG Findings in Coronavirus Disease. J Clin Neurophysiol. 2022 Feb 1;39(2):159-165. doi: 10.1097/WNP.0000000000000752. PMID: 32639251.